Problem building pidgin (talkatu)

Konstantin Kharlamov hi-angel at yandex.ru
Sun Apr 3 14:46:36 EDT 2022

Regarding the error: it is trying to fetch talkatu repo, but the repo was
deleted, which is why you're getting a 404. This really should be reported to
the developers. It is trivial to fix: just replace (I presume in meson.build,
but am not sure, you might want to grep for the string over the sources) the

	https://bitbucket.com/pidgin/talkatu

with

	https://keep.imfreedom.org/talkatu/talkatu/

that's the new URL of the repo.

With that said: I am not sure you're really doing the correct thing. You see,
you're trying to build a 3.0 version of Pidgin, that's the development version,
which AFAIK has major changes to plugin API. Latest stable Pidgin release is
2.14.8.

Is there any particular reason you're trying to build Pidgin from sources? It is
usually in repositories of all distros, so there should be no reason in doing
that other than wanting to do the Pidgin development (not even a plugin
development, that one doesn't require building Pidgin from sources).