Email Lists

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Thu Oct 6 08:08:51 EDT 2022

On 10/6/22 05:52, Gary Kramlich wrote:
> Greetings Programs!
>
> As some of you may be aware, we've been in the process of
> transitioning our email lists to a new server. Well, managing email in
> 2022 is tedious and unforgiving so it's taking forever and I always
> have a ton more on my plate that's easier to do.
>
> As such, the idea has come up to migrate to Discource instead. Because
> of this, I'm trying to see how others feel about this and how we
> should go about importing things. They are listed below.

I am always against forums.  Exception when it is for a vendor's product
and they have lots of separate forum based on user issues.

But forum means there is somewhere else I need to look to participate,
or if it is low volume as here, to note that there is something I need
to think about.

Also many forum software eat up processor resources and I watch my
Firefox grow in memory consumption to the point I have to kill it and
restart to get rid of all sorts of cruft.  Thunderbird by itself is bad
enough.  ;)

So if you switch to forum, it is goodby.  Actually my mine use of, for
IETF Jabber access, has gone away, so there is a real question if I
really need pidgin at all now...

My opinion for what it is worth.