Email Lists

Konstantin Kharlamov hi-angel at yandex.ru
Thu Oct 6 07:35:44 EDT 2022

On Thu, 2022-10-06 at 04:52 -0500, Gary Kramlich wrote:
> Greetings Programs!
>
> As some of you may be aware, we've been in the process of transitioning
> our email lists to a new server. Well, managing email in 2022 is tedious
> and unforgiving so it's taking forever and I always have a ton more on
> my plate that's easier to do.
>
> As such, the idea has come up to migrate to Discource instead. Because
> of this, I'm trying to see how others feel about this and how we should
> go about importing things. They are listed below.
>
> I've tried looking to see if I can anonymize the archive, but haven't
> found anything mentioning that as a possibility yet.
>
> Please respond as soon as possible as I would really like to start on
> this migration no later than 2022-10-14.
>
> When it comes to this migration, are you for or against it? (Please
> answer yes/no/doesn't matter)

Yes.

As someone who often has to subscribe to various mailing lists, I can say they
are very annoying. And the reason is that, often times you want to track only a
single topic and nothing else. But you can't: you either get everything or
nothing at all. You either subscribed, or you are not, and just hope that you
email will pass spam-filters and that people who reply to you wouldn't forget to
add you to CC. It is an unwieldy system.

As a disclaimer though, I probably won't subscribe to Discourse myslelf, Idk if
that matters. I still only subscribed here just because it's a very low-activity
list, so I didn't even have to create filters for it, etc. But at the moment I
don't develop a Pidgin addon (I did at the past, but not anymore), so my
presence here is not justified. So, here's that, just FTR.

> When it comes to this migration, would you like to have users imported
> into the new system? (Please answer yes/no/doesn't matter)

Yes.

If it's possible, then sounds fun, why not. It would mean people won't even
notice that migration happened, sure.

> When it comes to the archives, would you prefer to have it imported into
> the new system? (Please answer yes/no/doesn't matter)

Yes.

It's good for indexing by search engines, as a bunch of useful information would
appear on the new Discorse system.