Email Lists

pidgin at alexoren.com pidgin at alexoren.com
Thu Oct 6 12:31:40 EDT 2022

On 2022-10-06 07:40, Matthias Apitz wrote:
> El día Donnerstag, Oktober 06, 2022 a las 12:33:30 +0100, Brian Morrison escribió:
>
>> On Thu, 06 Oct 2022 14:28:27 +0300
>> Konstantin Kharlamov <hi-angel at yandex.ru> wrote:

>>> I don't see a problem as long as a forum allows to emulate a mailing
>>> list. If Discourse allows one to subscribe "to everything" and reply
>>> to posts with email, then you get pretty much a mailing list in your
>>> email client.
>>>
>>> I don't know if Discourse allows that, but if somebody confirms, then
>>> there should be no problem.

I can confirm. See my other email to this list for details.

Discourse bills itself as a mailing lit alternative, and as such offers a smooth and gradual transition, allowing people that prefer the mailing list experience to keep it.

>> We were asked to vote, I vote against anything that looks like a forum
>> and has a web interface. YMMV.
>
> I'm also against any type of forum and prefer stay with the list.

I understand your reluctance to use a web interface, but Discourse can be configured to behave exactly like a mailing list for the people that prefer that mode of communication.

If you can continue using it that way, communicating via email without having to deal with a web interface, would it bother you that other people can have different options?