Email Lists

Dave Warren dw at thedave.ca
Thu Oct 6 13:49:49 EDT 2022

On 2022-10-06 05:10, Brian Morrison wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Oct 2022 04:52:14 -0500
> Gary Kramlich <grim at reaperworld.com> wrote:
>
>> When it comes to this migration, are you for or against it? (Please
>> answer yes/no/doesn't matter)
>
> No. It seems to be a forum, much prefer mailing lists, forums always
> treat email as a second-class (or worse) add-on.

Discourse is one of the best if not the best of the web-based forums in
terms of supporting mailing-list mode. I participate in a couple where I
operate primarily or exclusively by email.

But, it needs the email feature to actually be enabled and a lot of
Discouse installations don't bother, in which case you can read via
email but need to pop into the web interface to post.

While I actively prefer mailing lists, the reality is what it is: Forums
work better for new users, and for one-off question askers.

As someone who enjoys supporting and helping others, the forum has
another perk: Users can actually search and find related topics to have
a chance at solving their own issue. Discourse offers up suggestions for
related posts automatically.