Mailing List Shutdown

Gary Kramlich grim at reaperworld.com
Mon Jan 9 21:03:58 EST 2023

Greetings Programs!

As many of you may know, we've been looking at how to transition our
mailing lists. They have become very troublesome to manage and have
become a huge tech debt now that mailman 2 is deprecated and it's not
exactly straight forward to move to mailman 3.

We looked at a bunch of options, but at the end of the day determined
that maintaining mailing lists just wasn't worth the effort. We
considered the amount of time that has to be dedicated to fighting spam,
  making sure that the large email providers will accept your mail, as
well as the amount of traffic that we actually handle.

Because of all of this, we have chosen to use Discourse for discussions
going forward. We have an instance running at discourse.imfreedom.org
and user accounts are tied into our single sign on provider that runs at
hub.imfreedom.org.

We will be shutting down the mailing lists on January 20th, 2023. The
email servers will remain for a bit, and we will be sending replies to
any incoming mail to the lists to point people to Discourse. I was
hoping to get this information out to you all earlier, but things don't
always work out as planned.

Thank you for your understanding as we make this unfortunate but
necessary change. If you would like to discuss this further, please do
so on this discourse topic
https://discourse.imfreedom.org/t/e-mail-migration/23.

Thanks,

--