French translation error

Ambrose LI acli at ada.dhs.org
Sun Nov 4 01:08:57 EST 2007

On Sat, Nov 03, 2007 at 05:16:33PM -0400, Ethan Blanton wrote:
> Simon Marseille spake unto us the following wisdom:
> > In pigdin bottom menu, where you can find your status, add a new one or save
> > the current set, there is an error in the french translation.
> >
> > "Sauv?" is past tense and should be "Sauver" (infinitive) instead. Moreover,
> > we don't use "sauver" as a translation for "save" but instead use
> > "Sauvegarder" (sauvegarder sous, sauvegarder l'?tat, etc.).
> >
> > Please correct this field to "sauvegarder", as this is proper french for
> > "save".
>
> That string does not, and should not, say "Save", but rather "Saved".
> The menu entry in question brings up the Saved Statuses dialog.  Does
> this change anything?

In case this applies to French (I don't know if it does or not), when the
Chinese (traditional) team translated this, we had to come up with something
different from the English, as "Saved" in the context would not make any sense
in Chinese.  At the end we translated it as "List of statuses".

--
cheers,
-ambrose

don't believe everything you read in Wikipedia...