Off-topic: Translators wanted for opensource

Samuel Murray (Groenkloof) samuel at translate.org.za
Sun May 4 18:43:26 EDT 2008

G'day everyone

Please allow me to tell you about our translation project.  I'm hoping
that some of you might be able to help us with translations or ideas.

One of the types of programs that I'm sure will be useful to translate,
is message programs.  Since you guys already work on or translate a
message program, would you mind telling me what you think one should
look for in a message program from the point of view of translating it?
  What things do you think one needs to keep in mind when selecting a
single message program for a translation project with volunteers?

We call our project the Decathlon because we want to encourage people
who feel passionate about their language to translate up to ten or more
opensource programs into their languages in 2008.  This year, we limit
our selection of translated programs to applications aimed at end-users,
and preferably programs that run on multiple platforms.

All translations are done in our web-based translations system, Pootle.
  The value of Pootle is that a team of translators can work together on
a single file.  Pootle also has quality checking features, to ensure
that translations don't break the software they are used in.   Pootle
requires the Gettext PO format, but we can convert certain other formats
to and from PO.

You can read more about the Decathlon project at
http://translate.sourceforge.net/wiki/decathlon/mainpage.
Or take a look at the online translation system:
http://pootle.locamotion.org/
Or join the low-volume newsletter mailing list: