Development branch vs. 2.x.y branch

Daniel Atallah datallah at pidgin.im
Tue Aug 28 08:41:19 EDT 2012

On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 6:28 AM, Paulo Ribeiro <paulo at diffraction.pt> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am using Transifex to obtain (and update) the .pot files to translate
> Pidgin to Portuguese.
>
> I noticed that each language has two different .pot files available, one for
> the development branch and another for the 2.x.y branch. However, I'm not
> sure what is the difference between the two.
>
> We began translating the development branch, because that file was already
> about 50% translated and I also discovered that for many languages that is
> the only translated file.
>
> Our biggest question is this: if we manage to complete the translation of
> the development branch, will this translation be incorporated in future
> Pidgin updates such as 2.10.7? Or perhaps only on version 3.0.0?
>
> Thanks in advance for helping to clarify this. :)

The "development" branch corresponds to the default branch in
mercurial, which will eventually become the 3.0.0 release.

The "2.x.y" branch is what any 2.x release (such as 2.10.7) would use.

The 2.x.y branch is periodically merged into the development branch.

Hopefully that clarifies the situation.

-D