Irish translation updates, roadmap for 3.0.0?

Kevin Scannell kscanne at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 11:57:19 EST 2012

On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 3:05 PM, John Bailey <rekkanoryo at rekkanoryo.org> wrote:
> On 11/16/2012 03:54 PM, Kevin Scannell wrote:
>>   A few questions:
>>    (1) when are the PO files pulled from transifex into the mercurial
>> repo?  do I need to request that or does it happen automatically?
>
> The updated .po files are generally brought into Mercurial as the release
> process is conducted, so generally this will happen either the day before or the
> day of release.  In the case of 3.0.0, however, it's likely we'll pull
> translations in when we announce a general string freeze, then again nearer to
> the actual release.  For 3.0.0 I expect that we'll give a month-long string
> freeze to give all translators time to revisit their translations and ensure
> they're in great shape.  We have a few translators that pride themselves on 100%
> completeness and the minimum practicable number of "fuzzy" translations.
>
>>    (2) what is the time line for releasing 3.0.0?  The web site says
>> warnings will be posted here prior to releases but I don't see many of
>> those in the list archive
>
> We don't currently have a target for 3.0.0 release.  We haven't sent many
> release notifications recently because very, very few of our recent releases
> have had string changes.
>
>>    (3) is it worth backporting the work I've done from trunk to the
>> stable branch?
>
> Absolutely.  I feel we'll still need a small number of 2.10.x releases before
> we're in a state to release even a beta for 3.0.0.  In fact, you should find
> that majority of your work on 3.0.0 can be essentially copied wholesale for 2.10.x.

Hi John,
  Thanks for your answers.  I've got both branches to 100% now:

https://www.transifex.com/projects/p/pidgin/language/ga/#

We're looking forward to having Pidgin in Irish!

Having been through the full PO file in detail, maybe I could suggest
a couple of places where translator comments would help?

(1) In the following, an explanation of the variables would help.  I
was able to figure them out from the code, but not all translators
will dive in and do that:

msgid "%s%s%s%s has made %s his or her buddy%s%s"

msgid "%s%s%s%s wants to add %s to his or her buddy list%s%s"

msgid ""
"<a href=\"viewinfo\">%s</a>%s%s%s wants to add you (%s) to his or her buddy "
"list%s%s"

(2) "Directory" is ambiguous, and we have different translations for a
file system directory and a directory of users.

e.g. here I'm guessing
#: ../libpurple/protocols/jabber/buddy.c:2228
msgid "Invalid Directory"

it's a user directory based on context but it would be nice to be certain.

(3) Here it matters who is not logged in - me or someone else?

#: ../libpurple/protocols/msn/error.c:133
#: ../libpurple/protocols/oscar/family_icbm.c:59
#: ../libpurple/protocols/oscar/util.c:43
msgid "Not logged in"

Thanks!
Kevin