Untranslatable message in XMPP

Bjoern Voigt bjoernv at arcor.de
Sun Dec 14 17:41:22 EST 2014

Recently I tried to register a new XMPP username. I am not sure, if
the "Register New XMPP Account" dialog is only displayed, if I use
an existing account name (which is not free for new registration).

The problem with this dialog is, that it contains the English
message "Choose a username and password to register with this
server". A screenshot is attached.

This English message is not part of Pidgin. It comes from an
Ejabberd XMPP server (I replaces some IDs with "..."):

<stream:features><mechanisms
xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/caps' hash='sha-1'
node='http://www.process-one.net/en/ejabberd/' ver='...'/><register
xmlns='http://jabber.org/features/iq-register'/></stream:features>
<iq from='...' id='... type='result'><query
xmlns='jabber:iq:register'><instructions>Choose a username and
password to register with this

I know, that we translators can only translate strings from Pidgin,
but not server messages. But may be, the servers only send a limited
number of messages. Then it's possible to translate them with some
codes changes.

>From my experience, the XMPP registration process is often a bit
inapprehensible for Newbies. English messages make it even more
inapprehensible.

Any ideas?

Greetings,
Björn