[Cabal] Maintaining/Lead developing

Richard Laager rlaager at wiktel.com
Sun Dec 17 18:58:33 EST 2006

On Wed, 2006-12-06 at 04:32 -0500, Mark Doliner wrote:
> I'd be willing to do stuff, if that's what people
> want.  I think Richard would be good, too.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Mark. Granted, the prestige would
likely be cool, but out of the two nominees I've seen (you and now me,
if that's indeed a "nomination"), I don't think I'm the best choice.
You've been with the project longer, know more about the codebase in
general, cut the release tarballs, etc. etc.

I'd gladly take on the lead developer duties if that's what the group
decides, but my vote/"vote" is for Mark since he's willing.

> FYI I won't have any more time
> than I currently have, but if that's ok with people... should we like, do some
> kind of official vote?

I don't know if we need a specific vote or if we're going for consensus
(which is a better approach, I'd imagine).

> Or I mean, are we sure we want to have a maintainer/lead developer/guy in
> charge?  We could go all super-republic on their asses.  I don't really know
> who "they" are, but I thought it went well in that sentence.

I think it's probably a good idea to have someone in charge, especially
now with IMF (which totally makes me think Mission Impossible).
Decisions still seem to generally be made by consensus, so I don't think
a lead developer is any harm.

Richard