[Cabal] Monotone

Mark Doliner mark at kingant.net
Tue Nov 7 01:08:48 EST 2006

On Mon, 6 Nov 2006 22:44:16 -0500, Ethan Blanton wrote
> Richard Laager spake unto us the following wisdom:
> > Has anyone merged the Pidgin changes from Pidgin SVN into a Monotone
> > branch? I think that'd be a great way to get some experience with
> > Monotone's branching capabilities. We'd be able to see how well Monotone
> > will work for us. If not, I'll volunteer to do it. Just let me know.
>
> I've been looking at that, and because revisions were ported from
> sf.net to pidgin.im with no real respect to their original ordering
>
> (as best I can tell), there's no clean way to zipper the two
> histories together.  It'll probably have to be done by hand.  I
> really think we should discontinue the use of pidgin.im svn until we
> get some sort of plan for sorting things out ... subversion is just
> too crappy to be doing parallel development and expect to be able to
> use it later.

I'm strongly in favor of that.  I wasn't looking forward to committing
everything to two repositories for the next two months.

> Richard also brings up the question of complete history ... do we
> want that in our dvcs repository?  If so, datallah, have you had any
> luck getting svn to merge across those busted revisions?

I'd like to have a complete history.  I often go back to old revisions and
look at changes that were made.  Speaking of which, does Monotone have
something similar to ViewVC?

SourceForge seems to allow rsync access to the actual svn repo.  I haven't
looked into it.
http://sourceforge.net/docs/E09/#backup

-Mark