[Cabal] Monotone

Richard Laager rlaager at wiktel.com
Wed Nov 8 14:12:03 EST 2006

On Tue, 2006-11-07 at 01:08 -0500, Mark Doliner wrote:
> > Richard also brings up the question of complete history ... do we
> > want that in our dvcs repository?  If so, datallah, have you had any
> > luck getting svn to merge across those busted revisions?
>
> I'd like to have a complete history.  I often go back to old revisions and
> look at changes that were made.  Speaking of which, does Monotone have
> something similar to ViewVC?

The major argument against having full history in the Monotone
repository is that everyone has to checkout a full copy of the
repository. I objected very strongly to this when we were considering
git a while back. I've now changed my mind, for two reasons:

1. I don't see 700 MB - 1 GB as being a big deal for a Gaim checkout. I
shouldn't have to duplicate that for multiple trees, as I believe I can
have multiple checkouts from the same Monotone database.

2. I believe the Monotone developers eventually plan to add shallow
checkouts. If this was done, then that removes the argument entirely.
Until then, we can provide a read-only SVN or something (via tailor) for
non-developers to use if they wish.

I don't like the idea of having the history split into two repositories.
We'll end up having to maintain SVN forever just to keep the older
history. That said, if we're going to do so, now is probably the time to
do it. There'd be a little overlap, but in the end we'd have the Gaim
SVN history, and the Pidgin/libpurple Monotone history.

Richard