Let's answer the branding question on Win32

Mark Doliner mark at kingant.net
Sun Apr 8 22:00:27 EDT 2007

On Sun, 8 Apr 2007 21:48:30 -0400, Ethan Blanton wrote
> Daniel Atallah spake unto us the following wisdom:
> > On 4/8/07, Kevin M Stange <kevin at simguy.net> wrote:
> > > 1) Call it Pidgin.  If we need to distiguish it, refer to it as "Pidgin
> > > for Windows" or "Windows Pidgin"
> >
> > I agree with this.  I don't particularly like "WinPidgin" and as I've
> > mentioned before, I dislike "PidgWin", partially because it sounds
> > like "Cygwin".
> >
> > I'm not confused (at least about this :P )
>
> You're confused about not being confused.  The 'cygwin' thing is
> irrelevant.  You can't let them have every word ending in 'win'.
>
> I continue to campaign for Pidgwin.  If we're going to release a
> crappy Windows product for users we don't even like, we might as well
> give it a good name.

I disagree a lot.  I don't think it's crappy, and I don't not like Windows
users.  Firefox doesn't call it "Winfirefox" or "Firefoxwin," and I don't
think we should do it either.  Treating Windows users like second class
citizens is demeaning to potential users and developers, and it hurts the
spread of open-source software.

-Mark

P.S. I think Microsoft Windows is a pretty shoddy OS.