Trouble installing Pidgin...

Stu Tomlinson stu at nosnilmot.com
Mon Aug 6 09:39:42 EDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-08-03 at 06:38 -0400, Jean-David Beyer wrote:
> In particular, I run Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.
>
> It complained about missing stuff, libsilc-1.0.so.2 and libsilcclient-1.0.so.1
>
> I downloaded and installed libsilc-1.0.so.2 which also included
> libsilcclient-1.0.so.2.

How did you install these?

> Is this a bug in your yum dependencies, or must I load libsilc from
> somewhere else to get the older version, or what?

It appears Red Hat have dropped libsilc from RHEL5, but as I build the
RPMs using the CentOS RHEL rebuild which appears to have maintained
libsilc the Pidgin RPMs have SILC support. You can install the CentOS
libsilc RPM from here to satisfy the missing dependency:

http://mirror.linux.duke.edu/pub/centos/5/os/i386/CentOS/libsilc-1.0.2-2.fc6.i386.rpm

Regards,

Stu.