Trouble installing Pidgin...

Jean-David Beyer jeandavid8 at verizon.net
Mon Aug 6 14:59:50 EDT 2007

Stu Tomlinson wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-08-03 at 06:38 -0400, Jean-David Beyer wrote:
>> In particular, I run Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.
>>
>> It complained about missing stuff, libsilc-1.0.so.2 and
>> libsilcclient-1.0.so.1
>>
>> I downloaded and installed libsilc-1.0.so.2 which also included
>> libsilcclient-1.0.so.2.
>
> How did you install these?

I downloaded libsilc-0.9.12-1.i386.rpm from somewhere (rpmfind) and did rpm
-Uvh libsilc-0.9.12-1.i386.rpm and it loaded both of them.

>> Is this a bug in your yum dependencies, or must I load libsilc from
>> somewhere else to get the older version, or what?
>
> It appears Red Hat have dropped libsilc from RHEL5, but as I build the
> RPMs using the CentOS RHEL rebuild which appears to have maintained
> libsilc the Pidgin RPMs have SILC support. You can install the CentOS
> libsilc RPM from here to satisfy the missing dependency:
>
> http://mirror.linux.duke.edu/pub/centos/5/os/i386/CentOS/libsilc-1.0.2-2.fc6.i386.rpm

Thanks. I removed the rpm I had installed and installed the one you
suggested and it now seems to work. No one I know is logged in at the
moment, but it looks somewhat as I remember it from a few months ago. There
are superficial differences, but that does not matter as I am not a power user.

 ^^-^^ 14:40:01 up 3 days, 18:36, 2 users, load average: 4.46, 4.25, 4.09