Reducing tab size

Ethan Blanton elb at pidgin.im
Mon Aug 6 21:25:40 EDT 2007

Gary Kramlich spake unto us the following wisdom:
> Ethan Blanton wrote:
> > What have you lost?  In my view, the font decorations lose no
> > information over status icons, and in fact are *more* intuitive (in a
> > vacuum); I presume that the label shortening is either only used when
> > there is space pressure, or *could* be made to operate so.  The x icon
> > carried no information that the textual x does not.  What am I
> > missing?
>
> That we're "saving" space in the tab bar to fix a design issue in
> GtkNotebook.  That we're ignoring the wasted space in the menu bar*, the
> wasted space in the infopane, and the wasted space in the imhtmltoolbar*.

Well, working around a design issue I do find distasteful.  As to the
others, I don't see the trouble; the latter two examples are not
problem areas, so they simply aren't getting any time.  If they were,
we would be addressing them, as well.  Note that Sean *did* address
other issues the toolbar in 2.1.0.  (Actually, sort of the same issue
-- making it narrower.)

> I just personally think we'd be better off either fixing GtkNotebook or
> making our own widget that doesn't spaz out and give us some useless
> arrows when all the tabs can't be shown.

The useless arrows are kind of a different issue, aren't they?  Any
replacement for them would still have to have some way to deal with
hidden tabs, whereas Sean's proposals are to reduce the need to hide
tabs at all.  I see the two things as related, but ultimately
independent.

Ethan

determined to commit crimes.