Search Bar

Ethan Blanton elb at pidgin.im
Sun Dec 16 15:58:25 EST 2007

John Bailey spake unto us the following wisdom:
> Gary Kramlich wrote:
> > It's in no way intuitive, but using the mouse scroll wheel, you can
> > navigate to the next and previous match.  Although, it will match
> > everything.  So if you're using the big blist, you'll also match on
> > status messages and so on.
>
> The root issue here is that the users replying to this thread want a
> *filtered* blist, instead of simply jumping to the next match.  I
> don't see the utility in a filtered list, myself.

It seems reasonable to me.  I never search through my buddy list,
myself, but then again I also don't have a large corporate buddy list
(for example) containing many people I don't know or don't know well.
I know that there are corporate jabber servers out there which add
entire divisions or companies to individuals' rosters by default; this
does not seem entirely unreasonable, and nor does allowing for sorting
and filtering under such circumstances.

On the other hand, I process a lot of email, and I use mutt limits
frequently -- and they're almost exactly the same concept.  As I said,
it seems reasonable to me.  I'm not going to jump up and implement it,
but I think it is *un*reasonable to cry out against it.

Ethan

determined to commit crimes.