Merging XMPP SoC branch

Andreas Monitzer pidgin at monitzer.com
Wed Jul 11 11:45:20 EDT 2007

On Jul 10, 2007, at 16:19, Richard Laager wrote:

> plus the fact that Andreas is duplicating code that's in trunk
> because he's not aware of propagate (or I'm seriously mistaken).

Well, nobody ever told me about this, so how should I know? I had
some troubles with learning mtn, which wasn't part of my project at
all, so I was happy when I got it to work at least in some way.
Additionally, unlike the Adium commits, I don't get any info about
those of the pidgin mtn, so I don't know what happened after my
branch was created.

>> Note that I probably won't get any feedback from anybody as long as
>> this is hidden away in a branch.
>
> I was under the impression that SoC projects had mentors.

Most Adium devs don't use IM very extensively (yes, I know this is
rather weird), and my mentor doesn't administer any XMPP server to
test on. I'm running two of those myself (Openfire and ejabberd), but
I can't spot everything. Having more than 1 or 2 people using it is
the only way to find bugs.

> Then again, I was also under the impression that SoC projects couldn't
> depend on each other to avoid situations like this.

That's not true. They can depend on each other, but they can't have
the same goal.

> I don't see why we have to take any action on this anyway... have
> Adium
> track the branch until it's merge-ready. If it's merge ready now, then
> why wasn't it merged rather than having a discussion about merging it
> "early"?

The plan was to merge them after SoC is done, which will happen in
mid-August, no matter the state of the individual branches before that.

andy