Testing tools and Pidgin account limits

Ryan Barrett pidgin at ryanb.org
Fri Jul 13 12:46:24 EDT 2007

On Thu, 12 Jul 2007, Greg Chagnon wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone had any testing tools to simulate the endpoints of
> the major (AIM, Yahoo, Google, MSN) IM networks?  I'm running some IM
> traffic generation scripts through Pidgin, but don't want to push my luck
> logging in dozens of clients to the actual AIM servers.  What do you guys
> use to test Pidgin besides the actual cloud?

check out nullprpl. it's a mock protocol plugin that implements almost all of
the IM features supported in pidgin and libpurple. it's included in pidgin
2.0.1 and up.

http://snarfed.org/space/nullprpl:+pidgin+null+protocol+plugin

there are also a number of fairly lightweight jabber servers available; you
could run one of those locally. i haven't looked, but there might be oscar,
msn, or yahoo servers available too.

-Ryan

--
http://snarfed.org/