Does pidgin need an Internet connection per se or can it run on internal Corporate LAN?

Luke Schierer lschiere at pidgin.im
Thu Jul 26 13:43:01 EDT 2007

On Thu, Jul 26, 2007 at 10:35:47AM -0700, Bill Fassler wrote:
> I just tried again using every suggestion you have and they seem to have servers identified or want them identified (except Gadu-Gadu which you says needs one).
>
> Ok, so I guess after reading your response more closely you say "internal server". Well I assume you mean Internal IM server and I don't have one.  Where can I get one?  And why do I need one?  Shouldn't a simple point-to-point connection (perhaps using SIP) be possible??
>
> Maybe I thought Pidgin was more versatile than it actually is.
>
> Bill

GG does not list a server because there *is* only one.  The only
protocol that I'm aware of that would not require a server os bonjour.

I do not know if SIP can operate in a serverless manner.

While it is possible in a theoretical sense to do serverless IM, bonjour
does so, the protocol has to support it.  We merely implement the
protocols, we do not define them.

You can get links to some common jabber servers from jabber.org.  A
google search will no doubt provide you with the names of common open
source irc servers.  Each acts differently, and one or the other might
suit your needs better.

Sametime and groupwise are naturally commercial products.

luke