I LOVE the lack of protocol icons

Chase chase at osdev.org
Tue Jun 12 03:08:43 EDT 2007

Is the feather some horribly cruel joke to make people think that the
green dot isn't that bad?

When the protocol icons got dropped I thought it was weird and
everything was strangely plain looking but I gave it a chance. After a
while I realized one of the reasons I liked Pidgin was because I didn't
want to care about the protocol involved. The one or two places I did
care about the protocol I could just make a group. The green dot is
simple and easy to understand.

I get that the feather fits with the bird theme but exactly how does it
convey anything about presence at all? It's more a client type icon. In
fact, I'd like to see the feather icon as an alternate shortcut icon,
favicon, and general logo. That bug eyed bird freaks me out man....

-Chase