Zephyr Maintainership (Was: Re: Zephyr in win Pidgin?)

Richard Laager rlaager at wiktel.com
Sat Jun 16 23:00:42 EDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-06-15 at 01:54 -0500, Kevin M Stange wrote:
> I don't think that alone is a problem, but someone with an interest
> needs to get around to doing the legwork to get libzephyr to build, and
> then we can flip the "on" switch to begin shipping it with Windows Pidgin.

Patrick: If you are interested in working on this, I'd recommend you
look into picking up libzephyr maintenance upstream, so we can get
libzephyr out of libpurple and always depend on a separate libzephyr.

Debian has a separate libzephyr package [1], which is based on a
snapshot from MIT dated 2001-05-18 [2]. They have a non-trivial diff
[3], not all of which is Debian-related from a quick scan. Getting those
diffs as well as anything in libpurple merged into a new upstream would
really be great.

I'm dealing with a Zephyr bug right now (#1635) [4]. Like every time I
have to deal with one, I think about killing this prpl. I can't test any
changes I make, which is poor. I'd really like to see someone who
actually uses Zephyr to step up to maintain this prpl, or I vote for
killing it in 3.0.0 [5].

Richard

[1] http://packages.debian.org/unstable/libdevel/libzephyr-dev
[2] ftp://athena-dist.mit.edu/pub/ATHENA/zephyr
[3] http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/z/zephyr/zephyr_2.1.20010518.SNAPSHOT-17.1.diff.gz
[4] http://developer.pidgin.im/ticket/1635
[5] http://developer.pidgin.im/ticket/1752