Some suggestions on the infopane of conversation

Etan Reisner pidgin at unreliablesource.net
Mon Jun 25 11:00:20 EDT 2007

On Mon, Jun 25, 2007 at 03:12:38PM +0800, SuperMMX wrote:
> hi, guys, here are my thoughts on the infopane shown in the Pidgin converstion :
>
> * The long one-line information should tooltipled the same as before to get
>   the whole info.
I believe this is planned if not already done.
> * For IRC channels, I will never alias them, so the channel name shown again
>   on the infopane will waste some space and feels not comfortable to see two
>   #NAMEs
- IRC channels aren't the only chat rooms that exist.
- The fact that you don't alias them doesn't mean other people don't.
- Other protocols (like jabber) have chat room names that will likely cause
  more people to alias them.
- Having the info pane look different for different tabs/protocols based
  on our assumptions about how people use them is not a good idea.
> * For IMs, I prefer the protocol icon insdead of all the same green circle for
>   different buddies of the same contact.
- The protocol icon isn't important enough nor carries enough information
to replace the status icon, that being said I believe Sean indicated in an
earlier post on another thread that he intends to display the
emblem/protocol icon in the info pane.
> * The color of IRC channel topic should be different to the color of other
>   state-changed tabs.
While possible, I'm not sure how much this is really worth, but then
again I don't use pidgin for IRC or much care about most channel/chatroom
topic changes.
> * By right clicking on the infopane, tt is better to list available buddies
>   for current contact, instead of current conversation list, (which is the
>   same as right clicking the tabs).
There has been some talk about making the infopane act as the Sent To
menu, I'm not sure if there has been any consensus on it or not.

	-Etan