members only mailing off

Ethan Blanton elb at pidgin.im
Thu May 3 10:14:15 EDT 2007

Luke Schierer spake unto us the following wisdom:
> On Thu, May 03, 2007 at 12:56:42AM -0500, Mark Doliner wrote:
> > On Thu, 3 May 2007 01:44:16 -0400, Luke Schierer wrote
> > > After a comment by Ethan, and in wanting to lower the bar for moving
> > > long discussions out of the bug tracker, I have turned off the
> > > requirement that only members can post to this mailing list.

[snip]

> > For the record I think that's a bad idea.  The amount of spam on this mailing
> > list will continue to increase.  Turning on members-only posting is a really
> > easy way to block it.  It seems like if someone brings a discussion from a bug
> > tracker to the mailing list, the person who does so will be a subscriber
> > anyway (probably one of us devs).

[snip]

> Ethan will probably say that this is a problem solvable by spamprobe.
> We'll see.  I dislike both routes.

After the last long and painful argument against the Forces of
Laziness and Ignorance, I'm not inclined to get involved.  I made an
offhand comment in #pidgin regarding that I was previously subscribed
to this list as elb at psg.com, and was held for moderation when I sent
as elb at pidgin.im. I generally find this sort of behavior irritating,
and it certainly discourages casual reporting of
bugs/problems/ideas/whatever to the list.  I don't care enough about
it either way to argue to/for any changes.

I do agree that spam should be solved in a more effective way.

Ethan

determined to commit crimes.