no protocols in nullclient (MSVC)

David Byron dbyron at dbyron.com
Fri May 25 14:06:10 EDT 2007

I've looked a bit closer at nullclient.c but I can't see where I'm doing
something wrong.

When I run my MSVC-built nullclient, purple_plugins_get_protocols returns
NULL.  This leads to an assert failure in purple_account_new:

** (testprpl.exe:5496): CRITICAL **: purple_account_new: assertion
`protocol_id != NULL' failed

There are some more asserts but I think this is enough info to that's
something wrong already.  I tried stepping in to libpurple and although the
.dll seems to have debug info (it was compiled with -g), MSVC says this when
it loads it:

C:\utils\cygwin\home\dbyron\src\pidgin-2.0.0\libpurple\libpurple.dll',
Binary was not built with debug information.

If anyone has info on how to get debug info so that MSVC can use it as well
as what's actually going on here with the protocols, it would be a big help.

Thanks much.

-DB

Some more info...A look at the sections in libpurple.dll shows:

$ dumpbin.exe /SUMMARY libpurple.dll
Microsoft (R) COFF/PE Dumper Version 8.00.50727.762

Dump of file libpurple.dll

File Type: DLL

  Summary

        4000 .bss
        2000 .data
        C000 .edata
        3000 .idata
       13000 .rdata
        4000 .reloc
        1000 .rsrc
       E0000 .stab
      1DE000 .stabstr
       50000 .text

And of libpurple.lib (created with lib /machine:i386 /def:libpurple.def):

$ dumpbin.exe /SUMMARY libpurple.lib
Microsoft (R) COFF/PE Dumper Version 8.00.50727.762

Dump of file libpurple.lib

File Type: LIBRARY

  Summary

          CC .debug$S