Tab colors

Shreevatsa R shreevatsa at cmi.ac.in
Wed Nov 28 12:31:48 EST 2007

* Quoting Ethan Blanton who at 2007-11-28 11:19:49-0500 (Wed) wrote
> Ankit Singla spake unto us the following wisdom:
> > I gathered this. My argument is for red to be someone has sent a message
> > to you, and blue be someone has sent a message but not necessarily to you.
>
> You are not the first person to express this opinion; however, we had
> the behavior that you suggest implemented in the development code for
> some time, and there were overwhelming responses that people did *not*
> like it.  It is pretty clear at this point that it is a personal
> preference, and that we aren't going to make everyone happy.  My
> general sense is that the current behavior is "more popular", but I
> have extremely limited behavior to back that up.

Popularity is not a good argument, doing the Right Thing is (remember
protocol icons?)

As messages sent to me are more important than general messages, and red
is more prominent than blue[1], it makes sense to fix them. People will
get used to it. Isn't doing The Right Thing part of the design
philosophy?

-Shreevatsa

[1]: If this is seriously in doubt, I can try to find references :)

PS: Also, popularity-wise, I suspect people have been using Pidgin more
for IM than group chats.