Tab colors

Luke Schierer lschiere at pidgin.im
Wed Nov 28 12:39:12 EST 2007

On Wed, Nov 28, 2007 at 11:01:48PM +0530, Shreevatsa R wrote:
> * Quoting Ethan Blanton who at 2007-11-28 11:19:49-0500 (Wed) wrote
> > Ankit Singla spake unto us the following wisdom:
> > > I gathered this. My argument is for red to be someone has sent a message
> > > to you, and blue be someone has sent a message but not necessarily to you.
> >
> > You are not the first person to express this opinion; however, we had
> > the behavior that you suggest implemented in the development code for
> > some time, and there were overwhelming responses that people did *not*
> > like it.  It is pretty clear at this point that it is a personal
> > preference, and that we aren't going to make everyone happy.  My
> > general sense is that the current behavior is "more popular", but I
> > have extremely limited behavior to back that up.
> >

> Popularity is not a good argument, doing the Right Thing is (remember
> protocol icons?)
>
> As messages sent to me are more important than general messages, and red
> is more prominent than blue[1], it makes sense to fix them. People will
> get used to it. Isn't doing The Right Thing part of the design
> philosophy?
>
> -Shreevatsa
>
> [1]: If this is seriously in doubt, I can try to find references :)
>
> PS: Also, popularity-wise, I suspect people have been using Pidgin more
> for IM than group chats.

Whether or not red is more prominent than blue will depend on the
background color.  Any reference you find that states otherwise is
bogus.

That is why these colors should be themable via the gtkrc theme files,
and why I have consistently stated that we would accept such a patch
(provided it did not introduce any other bugs, so on).

luke