Open Buddy list via single clicking the tray icon?

Evan Schoenberg evands at pidgin.im
Wed Oct 24 07:30:15 EDT 2007

On Oct 23, 2007, at 6:09 PM, Neillithan wrote:

> Again with the elitist attitude.

The only elitist attitude in this thread has been yours.

>  This place is crawling with people who only
> care about their own grammar while pointing out the flaws in
> others.  Stop
> looking at questions as if there is some second underlying meaning.

Your questions indeed had an underlying meaning, one focused upon your
perceived rights as a user to receive certain treatment regardless of
the politeness or thoroughness of your request.

>  What I don't understand is the philosophical nature of its
> supporters.
Clearly.

> I have dealt with the Pidgin community on more than one occasion, with
> varying degrees of irritability ranging from some to none.  Don't
> tell me
> how to kiss ass for answers.  I already know how to do that.
> Inaccuracy and
> repeating myself--This is what irritates me, this is what leads me to
> "respond" the way I do.
Nobody has asked you to kiss ass.  There's a huge difference between
being rude, asking politely, and kissing ass.  Neither would produce a
magic fix for your problem, but only one of the three is going to
result in the best possible outcome, whatever that may be.

> Regarding your statement about my usage of English--it makes you
> sound like
> a dick and nobody should be so uptight about the misuse of a comma.

Ethan was trying to give you an 'out' to explain your rudeness.  It's
not your use of "a comma" which makes it clear that you are not a
native English speaker, and you certainly shouldn't view as insulting
the recognition by native English speakers of unnatural word order and
word choice.  Your English is quite good -- far better than my
whatever-your-native-language-is, I'm sure -- but that doesn't mean
that it sounds natural.  Sometimes non-English speakers choose words
that sound rude but aren't intended as such.  Your continued support
for your responses, though, seems to make clear that this was not the
problem in your case.

> And to top it all off, others actually think the way I do, and they
> will see
> this thread.  They will see how a bunch of elitists ganged up and
> scrutinized some innocent person with honest questions.
Anyone who wants to read this thread as anything other than you being
incredibly rude is certainly welcome to do so.

-Evan