AOL 6.0 protocol changes...

Thomas Hruska thruska at cubiclesoft.com
Thu Sep 6 00:14:21 EDT 2007

Sorry for the lengthy delay in my reply on this thread.  AIM 6.1 was
quite the stubborn beast but I finally got access to the underlying
data.  I've tried to make heads/tails of the protocol but I'm not seeing
how it maps to any documentation that already exists.  I've attached
some data to this message that represents a (mostly*) complete
communication sequence with kdc.uas.aol.com.

* I say "mostly" because the file could be cut off.  However, it
probably isn't.

I'm also pretty sure that what I've captured is just the login sequence.
  I had two test accounts set up and I sent a couple messages back and
forth and none of the messages showed up in the capture.  You'll note an
IP address shows up during the attached sequence (64.12.24.118:443).
Anyone seen this IP address before (i.e. on the old Oscar system)?

My guess is that the AIM client connected to that server after logging
in and all messaging occurred there (i.e. acts in a somewhat similar
fashion to the Oscar setup - login separated from messaging).

The version of AIM used is:  6.1.41.2 (this probably shows up somewhere
during the communication)

Of interesting note...the password is plain-text.  This is just a
throwaway AIM login.

So, as already suggested, HTTPS is definitely in use.

kdc.uas.aol.com:443 seems to be a HTTPS server BUT the request/response
sequence is somewhat unusual looking:

POST / HTTP/1.1
Accept: application/x-snac
Connection: Keep-Alive