MSNP* in official release

Felipe Contreras felipe.contreras at gmail.com
Tue Apr 29 08:42:54 EDT 2008

Hi,

Working with msn-pecan I found an issue not appearing before in
libpurple; what if there is more than one prpl for the same protocol?

Let's say that you ship both msnp9 and msnp14 in your next release.
Both can appear in the menu list for adding a new account and you
could switch back from one to another, or even have then running at
the same time.

This is not theoretical; it works. The only problem is that the smiley
themes use the prpl name for identification. Instead, a protocol field
could be added and then that would be used by the smiley theme
instead.

Therefore I suggest decoupling the plugin name to the protocol it's supporting.
http://developer.pidgin.im/ticket/5667

Best regards.

--
Felipe Contreras