MSNP* in official release

Felipe Contreras felipe.contreras at gmail.com
Tue Apr 29 09:36:44 EDT 2008

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 4:23 PM, Sascha Vogt <FunkyFish at gmx.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  Felipe Contreras schrieb:
>
> > Working with msn-pecan I found an issue not appearing before in
>  > libpurple; what if there is more than one prpl for the same protocol?
>  That would be cool, if it is supported on all levels.
>

>  > Let's say that you ship both msnp9 and msnp14 in your next release.
>  > Both can appear in the menu list for adding a new account and you
>  > could switch back from one to another, or even have then running at
>  > the same time.
>  >
>  > This is not theoretical; it works. The only problem is that the smiley
>  > themes use the prpl name for identification. Instead, a protocol field
>  > could be added and then that would be used by the smiley theme
>  > instead.
>  Well, there exist other problems too. I tried out msn-pecan and I ended
>  doubling all of my msn buddies. (I guess msn-pecan retrieved them from
>  the server-side list).
>
>  I had to manually group every msn buddy with the corresponding msn-pecan
>  buddy.

The msn-pecan buddy list is different from the official msn buddy list.

Most people don't have an issue with this, since msn-pecan once was
experimental it's better to don't mess with the original buddy list.

On the other hand, now that it's more stable it would be nice to
smoothly enable it and use the original buddy list. This would require
changes to the contact list, again; use the protocol name instead of
the plug-in name.

I think improving the smiley theme is good enough for now.

Best regards.

--
Felipe Contreras