pidgin.im very slow

Ka-Hing Cheung khc at hxbc.us
Thu Jul 3 12:10:01 EDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-07-03 at 12:04 +0100, Phil Hannent wrote:
> A quick google suggests that a 1U colocation in the UK costs £50 per
> month with 200GB of bandwidth.  It would be nice if a company or
> organisation could donate the money on an annual basis.   If there were
> two servers the whole thing could be mirrored to redundancy.

I think if we were to be responsible for our own hardware parts, it
would probably be a good idea to have it at a location where a couple of
us are close to. I think Stu is the only developer in UK.

> While hardware seems to be in plentiful supply its the colocation that
> is an issue.  Are there any organisations that offer support to open
> source projects?  Does the Free Software Foundation do this?  What about
> looking down stream and asking distributors to help?  What about the
> imfreedom.org, could they accept ongoing donations to be used in this way?
>
> I was thinking of if a number of people or organisations agree to a
> small monthly amount (say £5) for a minimum of a year, it would not take
> many to get a 1U space.

I think the plan is wait until the paperwork for nonprofit is done
before accepting donation.

That said, I think GSoC is giving us enough income that USD$100 a month
shouldn't be a huge burden. It would be nice if someone wants to
colocate for free, but not a big deal if we end up having to pay for it.
Of course, if someone wants to take care of the hardware for us too,
that would be great :-)

-khc