About ProgressReport and msn-pecan

Phil Hannent phil at hannent.co.uk
Fri Jun 13 06:57:22 EDT 2008

CARLOSMERAHORTI at terra.es wrote:
> I do not understand why pidgin core developers are supporting
> unsupported software, that may even have security related bugs
> unfixed,
> since that goes against users best interests.
>
> Users should be always using supported software and pidgin should not
> encourage using unsupported software. Pidgin is just encouraging
> laziness
> letting users still work with that old software.
I think you missed the fact that users are using old libraries because they are
not broken and work.  If you have been in computing long enough you know that if
its not broken do not fix it.

Upgrading any system/software is a gamble and I for one am very happy that the
Pidgin developers reduce that burden as much a possible.  From an end user point
of view its great, from a support technician point of view its great, from a
distributor point of view its great, from a developer point of view its a pain
in the arse.

Regards
Phil Hannent