New Sound Event

Damian Eads damian.eads at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 02:04:29 EDT 2008

On Sun, Mar 23, 2008 at 11:57 PM, Casey Harkins <caseyharkins at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-03-23 at 21:08 -0600, Damian Eads wrote:
>  > I guess I glossed over that one because I didn't know what it meant.
>  > What is the condition for a message being considered a new
>  > conversation? When an IM conversation tab doesn't already exist for a
>  > friend or after a certain time has elapsed with no messages from a
>  > friend? If it's a time out, how much time?
>
>  Historically it meant when an IM conversation tab doesn't exist, the
>  "new conversation" sound would be played for the IM that causes the
>  conversation tab to get created.
>
>  I've unfortunately been a bit too busy lately to follow development
>  closely (bad excuse, I know), but there is a persistent conversation
>  feature which may or may not have made it into a recent release which
>  could change this behavior to a certain time elapsed since no messages
>  were passed either way in a conversation.

Thanks. That clears things up. I appreciate the explanation.

>  Back to your original proposal, this could be done as a plugin, but I'm
>  not sure you're gonna find someone to write it for you. ;-)

I'm not trying to find someone to write it. I'm just throwing the idea
out there in case a seasoned developer of the project finds such a
feature useful. Not knowing anything about the design of Pidgin, it
might take weeks, hours, or minutes. I'm tempted to go and look at the
code myself and try coming up with a patch. It's not the
implementation I don't have time for but learning the architecture of
yet another library.

Thanks anyway,

Damian