pidgin.next.minor: f00a8560: Use up the last padding for PurplePlugin...

Gary Kramlich grim at reaperworld.com
Mon May 5 19:21:02 EDT 2008

Ethan Blanton wrote:

<snip>

>> Also, the fact that we're even looking at this, to me, says that we
>> don't want to follow the rules we all agreed to about our versioning.  I
>> mean, if we need to add another member and don't have room, is there any
>> reason feature X is that important that we need to work around a our own
>> rules, and that just seems silly to me.
>
> The thing is, this *isn't* breaking our rules -- our rules are about
> ABI compatability, not "prettiness".  I think this is an ugly hack,
> and I don't like it from a principle standpoint, but I don't see any
> reason why it's illegitimate from the ABI side.

I may have gone to in-depth with the ABI stuff.  But ultimately, I
think, if were are going to do this, we should do it across all the
structures that have reserved space, and keep them consistent.  Not just
the ones that we're having issues with now.

I'd like to think, that ideally, we can foresee these issues before they
crop up, and are able to pad them accordingly, however, the PrplInfo
struct has already shown that you can't predict everything.

--
Gary Kramlich <grim at reaperworld.com>