libpurple: personal message != status message

Felipe Contreras felipe.contreras at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 07:39:45 EDT 2008

On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 1:48 PM, Will Thompson <will at willthompson.co.uk> wrote:
> On 10/09/08 11:25, Felipe Contreras wrote:
>> It has been discussed before.
>>
>> Basically, a personal message has absolutely nothing to do with the
>> status. That means that you should not need to interact with the
>> status selector in order to change your message. It also means that if
>> you change your status, your personal message should not change.
>>
> I feel like this problem would go away if the status selector did not
> erase the message text when you switch from Available to Away.  At one
> point, that was the behaviour, but it was changed for reasons I don't
> recall.

That would help, yeah.

> This isn't an MSN-specific issue. I sometimes use my status message on
> all networks to say something like "getting a sandwich; back in 5", and
> sometimes for the kind of thing people might use for their "status" on
> Facebook or send as a Twitter message. Judging by MSN users I know, the
> latter style of message is what you are referring to by "personal
> message", and the former by "status message". Do you imagine there being
> two separate boxes for the two different style of message?

Well, I can think on some solution if you like. Have only one field
for the personal message and no field for the status message. You will
fill the status message only when you create a custom status manually.

This way you can have the benefit of both.

> (This is also conflated with the "different status for different
> accounts" use case; I might want my status on my work account to be
> «Available: "hacking on gabble"» while my personal accounts say «Busy:
> "my hovercraft is full of eels!"», which is currently hard to achieve in
> Pidgin.)

That's up for when profiles are implemented I guess.

--
Felipe Contreras