Keyring support

Ka-Hing Cheung khc at hxbc.us
Tue Apr 7 21:50:23 EDT 2009

On Sun, 2009-04-05 at 19:49 -0400, John Bailey wrote:
> David Bartley wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I came across the ticket for adding keyring support [1] and noticed it
> > hasn't had any updates in nearly a year. Has anyone made any progress
> > on this? I'd be interested in implementing support for gnome and
> > windows keyrings (possibly kde later) if nobody else is working on it.
> >
> > [1] http://developer.pidgin.im/ticket/673
> >
> > -- David
>
> There was an entire Summer of Code project for it last year.  It needs some
> incompatible changes, so we can't merge it and release it until 3.0.0, as I
> recall.  We fully intend to release this code once we're ready to cut a 3.0.0
> and break plugin compatibility.

iirc most, if not all, of the keyring code can be merged without
changing api. There are some trivial changes that enable error
notifications on async keyrings, but they are unused and I don't see
much values in them. Maybe I will try to find some motivation to look at
it again.

There are also questions on how the keyring ops should be implemented in
a struct hidden world. I'd hate to see every *Ops structure to be turned
into GObjects. I think I have a way to deal with them if the goal is to
enable better extensibility rather than let's-hide-all-the-structs
though.

-khc