Inclusion of MXit plugin into Pidgin

Kevin Stange kstange at pidgin.im
Tue Aug 4 14:32:55 EDT 2009

Pieter Loubser wrote:
> Hi,
>

> We would like to add our MXit protocol plugin to the main branch of the
> Pidgin source code. The source code for the plugin can be downloaded
> here: http://devzone.mxit.com/libPurple/download/2/

I am generally in favor of doing this, provided you're willing to
subscribe some of your support team to our "support" mailing list and
field questions about the mxit plugin and help us expand documentation
on our wiki to include login and usage help.  Presence in our IRC
channel and on other lists would be welcome as well.

We have been getting 1 - 2 mxit users per DAY contacting
support at pidgin.im asking for help logging into mxit using Pidgin in
spite of the fact we don't know how this plugin works and none of our
developers have ever used it.  This has been a source of some
frustration for us.

If you do continue to distribute a fully separate Pidgin installation,
please consider modifying the Pidgin about box to direct users to get
support for mxit in the appropriate place, rather than leaving the
default directions to visit our support resources for all issues with
the distribution.

It's certainly not my decision to set you up with commit access, but I
would think having you work on your development in a mxit monotone
branch, which we occasionally propagate to our primary branch for
"release ready" code would be reasonable.  This is how we handle the
OpenQ project for QQ support as well.  Other developers should chime in
with opinions. :)

Kevin