MSNP9 plugin

John Bailey rekkanoryo at rekkanoryo.org
Wed Dec 30 00:17:53 EST 2009

Hey, guys,

Recently we've seen a rash of complaints about old versions of Pidgin no longer
working with MSN.  These complaints all stem from the MSNp9 plugin.  As it's
been discussed, the issue is that when we negotiate with the server, we declare
that we support MSNP9 and MSNP8.  The server then tells us to use MSNP8.
Instead of continuing, we stop with the message "Our protocol is not supported
by the server."  From this message, I'm going to assume that we don't support
MSNP8 at all.

This leads me to two questions--first, have MSN's servers stopped supporting
MSNP9 entirely?  Second, if so, what's the point of keeping an MSNP9 plugin
in-tree?  We have our history in monotone if anyone wants the code for
reference, and our MSNP15 support has improved tremendously over the last
several months.

John