libpurple: get list of ALL buddies of a user

Etan Reisner pidgin at unreliablesource.net
Tue Jul 7 12:05:08 EDT 2009

On Wed, Jul 08, 2009 at 12:47:24AM +0900, Cristian Mircioiu wrote:
<snip>
> Two questions:
>
> 1. is is possible to retrieve the full list of this user's buddies ? if so,
> what function should I use ?

Most protocols deliver the full buddy list when the user signs on (this is the
only way they can be sure the client has it sicne they may be signing in from
a new computer, from a web client, etc.).

> 2. is it possible to not bring the user online but still be able to get the
> full buddy list ?

This depends entirely on the protocol, some may support this, others likely
will not. But libpurple isn't designed (out of the box) to do this sort of
thing, the protocols more-or-less assume at the moment that you want to be
really signed on when you tell it to sign you on.

> We want to use only libpurple for the above and not any custom scripts for
> each network...
>
> Thank you,
> Cristian

    -Etan