Updated list of items blocking Pidgin 2.6.0 release

John Bailey rekkanoryo at rekkanoryo.org
Sat Jun 6 00:16:32 EDT 2009

John Bailey wrote:
> Tickets: #2111, #3319, #5876, #6589, #6691, #7605, #8628, #8691.

Elliott and Paul have made excellent progress here, knocking out half of the
tickets.  Thanks, guys!  The remaining tickets are #3319, #5876, #8628, and
#8691.  I suspect we want to reject one or two of these patches, but am
deferring to others.

> Branches to merge to im.pidgin.pidgin: im.pidgin.cpw.rekkanoryo.icqxstatus and
> im.pidgin.cpw.malu.client_type

Paul or Etan need to sign off on the client_type branch.  This has been the only
thing blocking merge since my last e-mails.

An additional item that has cropped up that I want to consider a blocker is that
our friends over at Adium have discovered.  Due to their current beta series
shipping libpurple 2.6.0devel, we've been getting some good testing in on the
Yahoo 16 code.  The problem is they have users who have HTTP proxies that do not
proxy HTTPS connections.  This means that our current proxy code fails because
HTTP proxies seem also to be used for HTTPS.  As a result, a number of Adium
users who were able to log in with our old auth code can no longer do so.  We
probably need a way to explicitly indicate to the proxy code that we shouldn't
use an HTTP proxy for an HTTPS connection (but this needs to be a flag--some
proxies can and do proxy HTTPS), but I'm open to any suggestions.

We're now able to see the light at the end of the tunnel--we're down to just
seven blockers.  Compared to my first e-mail on this subject, which listed 29
blockers, this is tiny.  However, it does seem that we've now run into the
toughest problems on our list.  We need to keep moving on this, though.  Getting
2.6.0 out the door is really a necessity.

John