git pidgin-clone v4

Marius Orcsik marius.orcsik at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 09:19:17 EDT 2009

On Friday 13 March 2009 01:05:22 Felipe Contreras wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is the fourth try. Again, the way it was created is completely
> different. Derek Scherger from the monotone project has been
> developing an official export tool for git and I've been helping on
> that. It finally got recently merged to the master branch and will be
> released on monotone 0.43.
>
> With this tool I'm now able to clone the entire repo in 1 hour.
>
> Special thanks to Paul Aurich who helped update the author mapping[1].
>
> If you haven't yet checked the list of top contributors you can check
> that from ohloh which is using this pidgin-clone repo as a listing:
> https://www.ohloh.net/p/pidgin/contributors
>
> You can find it in the usual place:
> http://github.com/felipec/pidgin-clone
>
> == The given enough eyeballs all bugs are shallow argument ==
>
> I can't pass this chance to mention that while trying to optimize mtn
> git_export I found an issue that eventually lead Derek to find out a
> similar one with mtn log. So now the time mtn log takes in a Pidgin
> repo has been decreased from 46 min to 19 seconds [2]. Expect this
> also on 0.43.
>
> This enforces my original argument that git is good because many
> people use it and develop it (look how much a single eyeball helped
> for mtn).
>
> As an example you can see this optimization work by René Scharfe in git:
> http://marc.info/?l=git&m=123593373222602&w=2
>
> New projects using git (that I can recall)[3]:
>  * OpenEmbedded (migrated from monotone)
>  * Perl
>  * GStreamer
>  * Farsight
>  * Vala
>
> [1] http://developer.pidgin.im/wiki/Authors
> [2] http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/monotone-devel/2009-03/msg00072.html
> [3] http://git.or.cz/gitwiki/GitProjects

Hello all,

One other benefit of Git is that SF is finally supporting it[1], so it could be
a benefit for the pidgin.im developers not to have to maintain the host the
infrastructure of the code repository. (Also related to the SF forums it
should be noted that they are now supporting other open-source applications
for integrated with their infrastructure. E.g. Trac).

Best regards,
-OM

[1] http://arstechnica.com/open-source/news/2009/03/sourceforge-adds-support-
for-new-version-control-systems.ars