Making Pidgin small-screen-friendly

Michael Terry michael.terry at canonical.com
Wed Mar 18 09:43:50 EDT 2009

Here's another update on the small-screen changes I've been working on.
Reviews of the patches would be appreciated.

On Tue, 2009-02-24 at 14:59 -0500, Michael Terry wrote:
> Preferences:
> My preferences patches seem like good ideas, but there's some resistance
> to the 'Sound Events' being to the right of other columns.  We're not
> willing to lose the one-column mode.  I'll re-examine.
>
> Since the patches are split up by page, the other patches can go in, if
> y'all like.

3 of those 4 patches are still ready (the Sound page one still needs
work, that's next for me).  http://developer.pidgin.im/ticket/7548

> Buddy Pounce:
> Moving pounce triggers to use more columns helps.  I don't think it goes
> far enough.  I'll look into a patch that makes the 'send a message' box
> be a popup, showing a preview in the main dialog.

Tried the 'send a message' popup idea, but it didn't save enough space
to meet my target of ~540 pixels.  So I went back to plan B and added
tabs to the dialog.  See http://developer.pidgin.im/ticket/8718 for the
patch.

> SILC:
> Sounds like moving proxy settings into a new tab will help.  I think
> that's actually probably enough for SILC.  I'll check.  But long-term,
> it would be nice to have a general solution for this, so plugin authors
> don't break the dialog.

Moving the proxy settings to their own tab was enough.  See
http://developer.pidgin.im/ticket/8663 for the patch.

--
mterry | UI & App Engineer, Canonical Ltd. | +1 781 761 9092