Pidgin customization project

Etan Reisner pidgin at unreliablesource.net
Fri Mar 20 22:47:00 EDT 2009

On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 12:57:09PM +0100, Thomas Mathiesen wrote:
> All,
>
> We need to have pidgin customized for Windows (and preferably Linux). It needs to be
> re-branded and the setup process must be simplified (just connecting the user to our
> jabber server) to reduce the number of clicks.

You are going to need to be significantly more specific about what you
mean by "re-branded". All of the images pidgin uses are in the source and
can be replaced at will. Many of them (if not all of them) can even be
replaced for an installed version of pidgin simply by replacing the
installed files.

Replacing the names "Pidgin" and "libpurple" in all locations that they
appear in the UI is going to be a slightly more involved task (mostly in
finding all the locations that need changing and manually changing them),
though this may in fact largely be doable with a translation (though I
wouldn't suggest that as the way to do this for any real purpose).

> This customized Pidgin must be packaged, so that its going to be easy
> to install on Windows (at least).

We provide directions for building the Windows Pidgin installer on our
website, they will not change for any branded version unless that branding
involves code changes that require modified dependencies.

> Interested? Please send me a quote or any comments/questions you might have.
>
> (The new code will be given back to the Pidgin community ofcourse)

I have a doubt that anything you need to do for this is going to be useful
in any real way to the pidgin community, unless of course you invest time
in making rebranding a simpler process by pulling all uses of the
application and library names out of the real text and into something that
can be changed in one central location. Even then I'm not sure we are
likely to care all that much.

I wish you luck in your endeavour, either in doing it yourself or in
finding someone interested in doing it for you.

    -Etan