I have 2 ideas

Ka-Hing Cheung khc at hxbc.us
Fri Mar 20 01:35:02 EDT 2009

On Fri, 2009-03-20 at 13:00 +0800, Yubo Chow wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I have two ideas, but no idea which one to be chosen.
>
> The first one is building a plugin to translate message to be sent or
> received or both from one language to another. This idea is sample but
> useful. I got this idea when I was communicating with foreign friends.
> Soon I started to work on it, and got a demo by now. And I will make
> it as ease-to-use as possible.

This doesn't sound like a good GSoC project because it doesn't sound
like enough work.

> The second one comes from the ideas post one the web. A Protocol
> Plugin Which Sends SMS Message via Your Cell Phone. I like this idea
> the first time my eyes on it. Well, the same time, I want pidgin not
> only can send via cell phone, but alse can manage it. Other protocol
> plugin can manage their accounts too. I have phonenumber book,
> calendar, alarm clock and stuff. If a plugin can do them all, I’d like
> to use it.

Personally I am not sure if there's enough work in this, but if you can
expand on this feel free to give a shot.

> Well, after all, I want to be chosen in GSOC, which in any case is my
> primary aim. What I don’t know is how mentors evaluate the candidate.

> I know the idea should have decent value for the open source project
> and the candidate should be competent. I can ensure the second one,
> but could some mentor tell me which idea will win out if you are the
> rater?

I rate on 1) is this appropriate work for a summer (ie: not over
ambitious or too short) 2) Do I think it's useful 3) How likely do I
think this candidate will succeed. Not always in that order though. It
also helps to show that you've put some effort into your proposal, but I
guess that's part of 3) too.

-khc