GPL Violation

Jeff Sadowski jeff.sadowski at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 13:06:41 EDT 2009

On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 10:11 AM, John Bailey <rekkanoryo at rekkanoryo.org> wrote:
> Jeff Sadowski wrote:
>> Just curious how this is a GPL violation?
>> It doesn't modify the pidgin binary does it?
>> It is a plugin that uses pidgin right?
>
> Read http://pidgin.im/pipermail/devel/2009-September/008906.html.
>
> John

Ok then yup it is. One reason not to use gpl code if you want to use a
proprietary plugin.
Maybe they can move their plugin to some other app.

This seems kind of messed up for a unified messenger.
Does the skype plugin follow the same fate?

I would think you would maybe want to use some closed source apps
(like some OCR program for maybe doing captcha for you, like for the
yahoo rooms) with a plugin through pidgin. That same stipulation makes
it impossible to do, right? Or could you get around it some how?

Or maybe a closed source protocol(like for some sort of unreleased
encryption) for an IM that would also fit the same fate, right?
(I would think things like this exist and I am curious that is the
only reason I ask)