soc.2010.icq-tlc: 410486a1: OK, I'm sick of constantly finding funct...

Mark Doliner mark at kingant.net
Thu Jul 29 03:17:54 EDT 2010

On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 9:10 PM, John Bailey <rekkanoryo at rekkanoryo.org> wrote:
> On 07/28/2010 11:43 PM, Kevin Stange wrote:
>> Most of the code you removed was part of libfaim which was previously a
>> separate module from our oscar plugin, and some of the functionality
>> might have been desirable in other implementations.  That said, what was
>> libfaim is no longer separable from libpurple and much of the code may
>> not even work anymore.
>
> For the record, a couple years ago, Mark did declare that he no longer cared for
> libfaim to be a distinguishable entity from our oscar prpl.

And to anyone who might be sitting at home judging me, my rationale
for that decision was:
* Keeping libfaim separate from oscar.c made development harder.
Specifically when I was trying to make AIM and ICQ file transfer less
buggy
* We didn't get many contributions from people using libfaim outside of Pidgin
* Now that libpurple exists, someone could use libpurple instead of
libfaim.  Upside is that they get access to multiple protocols.
Downsides are that, well, the APIs are totally different, maybe
someone doesn't like libpurple? maybe someone only needs an AIM
client?

--Mark