Plans for Pidgin 2.7.7

Elliott Sales de Andrade qulogic at pidgin.im
Thu Nov 25 17:36:31 EST 2010

On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 1:45 AM, John Bailey <rekkanoryo at rekkanoryo.org> wrote:
> Hey, guys,
>
> Obviously since we just released Pidgin 2.7.6, we need to think about
> the next version.  Originally I was hoping to move forward with 2.8.0 at
> this point, but considering that we just released the merging of MSNp16
> and Jorge's SoC work on the MSN prpl, I think it might be wise to do at
> least one more micro release for the 2.7.x series.  Paul seemed to agree
> when I suggested this in the XMPP MUC.  So, here's what I envision for
> 2.7.7, of course barring major problems requiring a quick release:
>
> * Merge Window: I'm not aware of any merge-ready branches, but if any
>  exist, merge them in the next 2 weeks.  That starts now, 2010-11-22,
>  and ends on 2010-12-06.

It's been sitting for a while, but I think the changes in my cairo
branch [1] should be merge-ready.

The changes use relatively old functions, so I don't believe there
should be any old GTK+ issues. A quick check shows that they should be
GTK+>=2.8. There are no API/ABI changes required either.

> * Development Period: Once the merge window closes, we should have at
>  least one more week in which strings can be changed.  Continue to fix
>  bugs!
> * String Freeze: I'd like to declare a string freeze on 2010-12-12,
>  giving the translators a deadline of 2010-12-18.
>
> Ideally, my target release date is 2010-12-19.
>
> Thoughts, objections, etc.?
>
> John

[1] im.pidgin.cpw.qulogic.cairo

--